Thursday, June 12, 2008

Glow in the Dark

__________________________________________

This person glows in the dark. He walks down the street at midnight and runs into another person. This person does not glow in the dark.

"Hey!" says the one who doesn't glow. "Didn't you see me?"
"You should have seen me. I glow in the dark."
"Right. You do glow in the dark."
"Then why did I run into you?"
"I was looking down. I didn't see you."
"Oh."

"Why don't I glow in the dark?"
"I don't know," answered the illumined one. "Why don't you glow in the dark?"
"It's not a joke. It's a question."
"Oh. So you don't know."
"No."
"Do you know why I glow in the dark?"
"Were you born that way?"
"I don't think so."
"Did you get covered in radioactive waste?"
"No."
"Then I don't know."
"Oh. Do you want me to tell you?"
"You don't have to. If it's too personal."
"I don't mind."

So he told him how he glowed in the dark. It was more like a story than a piece of information. It didn't make much sense, but it was understandable. It made the one happy to tell it, and it made the other happy to hear it. But then it was over.

"I wish I glowed in the dark."
"Maybe you could."
"OK."
"Do you want to know how?"
"Sure."

Then he told him. Again it was like a story. Only this time it made sense, though it probably shouldn't have. And he learned how to glow in the dark. He stood there like a miracle, but he didn't glow.

"How come you're not glowing?"
"Can I?"
"Yes."
"Really?"
"Then do it."
"But how?"
"You just do."
"Oh."

He glowed. Now these two people glow in the dark.

No comments: